KAHOKind is our district-wide initiative to promote social/emotional well-being.
Being KAHOKind means being kind to yourself and others.
CUSD 10 is committed to the WHOLE Child Philosophy of Education. We believe to be prepared for well-paying jobs and lifelong learning, children need personalized support, safe environments, good health and challenging learning opportunities.
The information on this page was recommended by our administrators and social workers to help parents and students learn more about a few important topics.
Please contact your child’s school for help with issues impacting your family. Our school social workers have additional materials and can connect you with resources.
FOR IMMINENT SITUATIONS, CALL 911.
Use THIS LINK to visit the CUSD 10 Virtual Calming Room with resources to assist students and families with mental health, social-emotional and personal needs during the COVID-19 public health crisis.
- Parenting article from the US Dept of Ed: “Friendships- Helping Your Child Through Early Adolescence”
- Videos from Brooks Gibbs, Social Skills Educator
- Scholastic article “Talking with Teens About Instagram”
Cyberbullying: Identification, Prevention, & Response – Cyberbullying Research Center. 2019 Edition
Talking to kids about tragedies, grief and loss:
- American Academy of Pediatrics: “Talking to Children about Tragedies and other News Events”
- American School Counselor Association: Resources to help children following a Shooting/Crisis in the News
- National Institute of Mental Health: “Helping Children and Adolescents Cope with Violence and Disasters: What Parents Can Do”
- National Association of School Psychologists: “Talking to Children About Violence: Tips for Parents and Teachers”
- Child Development Institute: “How To Talk To Kids About Violence”
- Mental Health America: “Talking To Kids About Fear And Violence”
- So You Want to Quit Your Vapes, E-Cigarettes or JUULs?: Resources for Teens and Young Adults
- Education Week: The School Vaping Crisis – How Schools are Fighting Back.
- E-Cigarettes and Youth: What Parents Need to Know
- E-Cigarette Parent Tip Sheet
- Illinois Department of Public Health Warns of Dangers of Vaping
Here’s a video from St. Louis Children’s Hospital about vaping: