March 16, 2020
I am so impressed with how hard our district staff has been working to ease our students into this unprecedented period of e- and alternative learning. As we move toward tomorrow’s school closure, there are many questions regarding many issues. There is no road map to guide us during this situation. We will do our best to keep the lines of communication open and send updates to you on a regular basis as this situation remains fluid.
Please make sure your contact information in Skyward is up-to-date. If you have changed your email address and it is not updated in Skyward, you will not receive important communications from our school district.
Here is how you check/update your Skyward contact information:
- Log in using your Skyward username and password.
- Click on “ Account” – which appears next to your name in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Update your email information (and anything else that needs updated)
- SAVE your changes.
Note: Changes will not appear until the next day. In the meantime, check the district website for any news you might have missed.
During the time schools are closed, teachers will provide educational opportunities students can do at home. Principals and teachers will provide information directly to students/families.
Specific E-Learning/Alternative Learning plans will vary based on grade level, however, here are district-wide details:
- Teachers are expected to be available to parents and/or students between 8am and 1pm, Monday-Friday.
- Contact your child’s teacher via email, Skyward message or a communication app they have designated (DoJo, Bloomz, Remind App, Google Classroom)
- Contact your child’s principal via email.
- Parents/guardians and older students should check email often to watch for messages from the school district, schools, principals and teachers.
Spectrum is offering FREE Spectrum broadband and Wi-Fi access for 60 days to households with K-12 and/or college students who do not already have a Spectrum broadband subscription at any service level up to 100 Mbps. To enroll call 1-844-488-8395. Installation fees will be waived for new student households.
Breakfast/Lunch Meal Distribution
- ALL students in CUSD 10 are eligible for FREE meals distributed Monday-Friday at designated sites.
- Sack meals will have food for both breakfast and lunch.
- Meal pick-up will be 8:00 am until noon.
- Meals are prepared and distributed by Sodexo (our food provider) staff.
- When you arrive at the pick-up location, roll down your window, receive the meal and proceed out of the parking lot.
Meal Distribution Locations:
- Collinsville High School (back of the school by the dock)
- Renfro Elementary (north entrance closest to the kitchen)
- Webster Elementary (west parking lot by the kitchen doors)
- Kreitner Elementary (front entrance)
- Note: Meals will be delivered to residents in the 5100 at 11:00 a.m., 5200 at 11:30 a.m. and 5300 at 12:00 p.m. blocks of Collinsville Road.
- Additional delivery options are being considered and will be announced when plans are finalized.
During school closure, District Central Office staff, Building and Grounds staff, Technology Support Staff and 12-month staff will be the only employees with access to school buildings. All other employees are not required to access CUSD 10 buildings.
Schools will be closed to the public beginning March 17. At this time, the CUSD 10 Administrative Offices at 123 W. Clay Street (Student Services) and 200 W. Clay Street (Administration) will be open to the public 8:00 a.m. until 4:30 p.m., Monday-Friday. This is subject to change in the days ahead as the situation continues to evolve therefore, we recommend you call 618-346-6350 before visiting the offices to ensure availability.
Practice Good Hygiene
While school is closed, everyone is encouraged to continue practicing good hygiene:
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water or with an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Limit interaction with crowds and maintain a distance of at least 3-to-6-feet between yourself and anyone who is coughing or sneezing.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Cover your mouth and nose with your bent elbow or a tissue when you cough or sneeze.
- Throw away your used tissues immediately and wash your hands.
- If you have a fever, cough, and breathing difficulties, stay home and seek medical attention early by calling your medical provider.
- Stay informed and follow advice given by your healthcare provider.
Our school nursing staff has recommended the guidelines in this handout: Guidelines to Decrease the Spread of Coronavirus.
Also, CHECK OUT THIS VIDEO Collinsville Middle School Librarian/Media Specialist Mr. Hayman put together today with the assistance of CMS students. It’s part of his popular “Hay-man, I Need Help!” video series. It puts the message in a fun, easy way kids will appreciate.
Coping During the Days Ahead
Social Worker Kristin Trapp has shared the following resource which includes useful information and tips to help families cope during the days ahead:
Keep in mind, this situation is fluid and our plans are subject to change in the days ahead. We appreciate your patience and understanding as we navigate this uncharted territory together. #KahoksStepUp #ILSCHOOLSSTEPUP #thekahokway
Dr. Mark B. Skertich