Kreitner Elementary social worker Leah Corey was named December 2019 Kahok Educator of the Month on Friday, December 20, 2019, during the school’s monthly Sunrise Celebration. The award was presented by local Edward Jones Representative Jason Rehg.
Kreitner Principal Dr. Daugherty said, “Mrs. Corey was nominated by multiple colleagues and by all accounts is worthy of this award because of her tireless commitment, dedication to students and staff, consistently positive and calming demeanor.”
Her colleagues shared these comments about Mrs. Corey:
- I love the time that she pushes into the classroom and provides second step and communication strategies for my students. I see my students using those strategies.
- She is always there when she is needed. I don’t know how she does everything.
- She has so much love in her heart for our students.
- She is a liaison for parents that struggle and makes every effort to make them feel comfortable and is always empathetic.
- She assists teachers by giving strategies, examples, or just physically being there.
- She continually checks in with staff members to make sure that we are taking care of ourselves.
- She gives great advice and hugs!
“In addition to these praises, Mrs. Corey has also developed and implemented monthly parent events to educate parents on working with traumatized children and utilizing de-escalation techniques at home, she provides teachers with information and classroom strategies for working with students who experience(d) trauma, and she provides teachers with self-care strategies as well as sponsoring Kreitner’s Kindness Club,” added Dr. Daugherty.
Much thanks and heartfelt congratulations to Mrs. Leah Corey, Kreitner’s Social Worker extraordinaire and Kahok Educator of the month for December!