On Thursday, April 25, 2019, 6th grade classes from Dorris Intermediate School went on a field trip across town to experience what the Collinsville Area Vocational Center has to offer them in a few years.
Students spent the morning rotating among the various CAVC classrooms getting hands-on opportunities guided by CAVC students and staff.
They did things like…
- Prepare food in a commercial kitchen
- Remove and replace lug nuts on an automobile tire
- Take fingerprints, use handcuffs and experience “drunk goggles”
- Experiment with electricity and robots
- Learn what welders do and see the equipment up close
- Watch precision machining in action
- Observe a real preschool class
- Practice CPR
- Use tools to build a wooden key holder
Here’s a look at how their morning was spent: