Students, parents, and teachers will weigh in on school climate and learning conditions
Beginning March 29, 2021 and continuing through May 7, 2021, Collinsville Community Unit School District #10 will conduct a survey of school climate and learning conditions. The survey provides a unique opportunity for parents, teachers, and students, to have a voice in improving their schools.
Parents, teachers, and students will be asked to take a 3-minute research-based survey to help identify strengths and weaknesses in their school’s learning environment. This survey will serve as an opportunity for schools to reflect on our progress.
Illinois Senate Bill 7 requires the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) to establish a survey of learning conditions to provide feedback from parents, teachers and students regarding the instructional environment within each school in the state. Every school district must administer the survey in each of its schools annually and provide the data to the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE).
Collinsville CUSD 10 participated in the statewide 5Essentials Survey between 2012-2020. To meet state legislation and the Board’s mandate, Collinsville CUSD 10 has selected to use an alternative survey for the 2020-2021 survey administration. Recent legislation (105 ILCS 5/2-3.153) allows school districts the option to select an alternative to the 5Essentials from a pre-approved pool of companies. Selection of an alternative required school board and local union approval and was at the district’s own expense.
The survey we have selected for 2020-21 is the Cognia eProve survey of School Climate and Culture.
The Cognia School Climate and Culture survey looks to get information across 8 different “forces” that shape school culture:
- Expectations – what are the expectations for students in a school?
- Language – what words do teachers use to shape what activities, thinking and ideas are seen as being important?
- Time – how do those in a school feel about the time they have to do what they are asked to do to be successful?
- Modeling – what kinds of behaviors do adults in the school exhibit that can reinforce an effective learning culture?
- Opportunities – what opportunities do students have in the classroom to apply their skills and knowledge?
- Routines – what kinds of thinking and learning routines happen in the classroom and are they experienced as being a normal part of the everyday classroom culture?
- Interactions – what kinds of interactions do students have with adults in the school, do teachers have with peers, do parents have with staff, etc.?
- Environment- what is the experience of the physical spaces in which learning, teaching and working happen?
Staff and students will be surveyed at school. Parents will be asked to complete their survey online at their convenience.
Your participation in the survey will help us understand the conditions at your child’s school and guide improvement. Your identity and survey responses will be kept completely confidential and will never be connected to you or your child.
To take the parent survey, USE THIS LINK and chose “Collinsville Unit SD 10.”
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Collinsville Unit 10 Curriculum Office at 618-346-6350 ext. 4238.